Not one single song I recommended for the guys was performed. Not even one of the artists was covered (David Hernandez did sing a Temptations song). The guys don’t seem to understand that songs that tell a story are best – and that females probably outvote males 10,000 to 1. Jason Castro had a home run with Bob Marley and let it slip away. Here’s the recommendations and who could have sung each one.
- Bill Withers (Ain’t No Sunshine) –
- Van Morrison (Jackie Wilson Said) – David Hernandez
- Elton John (Bennie and the Jets)
- Joe Cocker (Cry Me a River) – David Cook
- Jim Croce (Time in a Bottle) – Jason Yeager
- Rod Stewart (Maggie Mae) – Luke Menard
- Bob Dylan (Tangled Up in Blues) – Michael Johns
- Charlie Rich (The Most Beautiful Girl) –
- Marvin Gaye (What’s Going On)
- Bob Marley (No Woman, No Cry) – Jason Castro
- Al Green (Let’s Stay Together) – Chikezie
- David Bowie (Fame) – Danny Noriega
- Gordon Lightfoot (Sundown) –
David was about as good as it gets on Idol. I left John Lennon off my list because I thought that since the Beatles weren’t approved for Idol, the individual Beatles also weren’t approved.
Danny did use one of my picks (Carpenters) – but it was for one of the girls to sing. Chikezie’s choice was good, but I lived through the 70’s and don’t remember ever hearing that song. I Believe to My Soul was a Ray Charles song from 1959 and later recorded on Donny Hathaway’s Everything is Everything album in 1970, but never released as a single as far as I can tell. Very strange choice as a 1970’s hit song.
Hopefully the girls will actually sing songs by female singers that were popular. I really want to hear Chuck E’s in Love – which girl is confident enough to take on the great Rickie Lee Jones?